The conference venue is located at the main campus at Luleå University of Technology, LTU, in the Alfa-building. The main conference hall is A117 (LKAB-salen) and the registration will be near A111.
Luleå University of Technology, Alfa-huset
977 54 Luleå, Sweden
Geolocation: 65.616817, 22.138303
The following files (PDF) contain additional information regarding MUM 2013:
About Luleå and LTU
The conference will take place in Luleå, Sweden, which is with a population of approximately 75,000 inhabitants an important major city in Sweden's otherwise sparsely populated north. Nevertheless, Luleå has with LTU (Luleå University of Technology, Luleå Tekniska Universitet) the most northern university of technology in Scandinavia. LTU also was Sweden's first University of Technology. In Luleå you will find the metropolitan abundance and pulse as well as the small town´s quality of life. Luleå has very warm summers (up to 30 °C) and very cold winters (with peaks down to -40 °C in February). While typically in December there already lies some snow, winter sport is not yet possible. Options for extensive winter sports are available in Abisko or Kiruna, a little north of Luleå.
Despite it's northern location, Luleå is an important center for the IT industry. Facebook recently started to build it's European data center close to LTU. In the Aurorum Science park, found directly at the university's campus, there are located around 60 business, mainly from the IT and mining sector. Kallax, Luleå’s airport, is the fifth largest airport in Sweden, where the leg between Stockholm (the capital of Sweden) and Luleå is the most frequent domestic flight in Sweden.
Luleå, founded in 1621, evolved around the medieval church in Gammelstad which is today a UNESCO world heritage. Luleå is the center of Norbotten County (Norbottens Län), covering one forth of Sweden's land area. Luleå has, due to its important mining and steel industry also in Kiruna, one of Sweden's largest harbors. The archipelago outside Luleå consists of more than 1300 islands, predominately made of sand, which makes it a major recreational area for boating and sailing. Not surprisingly, Luleå has the largest amount of boats per capita in Sweden.
More details on the conference venue will be provided on time.
Getting to Luleå
The airport of Luleå (IATA Code: LLA) reaches about 1,000,000 passengers a year and offers, from Monday to Friday, about 10 flights to/from, e.g., Stockholm, with a travel time of 75 minutes, each day. Via Stockholm’s Airport Arlanda (IATA Code: ARN), Luleå is virtually connected to all cities in Europe and across the world.
The free wifi at the airport is connected to Eduroam – provided that you have a login, it should work directly.
Despite it's northern location, Luleå an be reached in reasonable time from many major European cities (Munich 4.5 hours, London 5.0 hours, Berlin 5.5 hours, Paris 5.0 hours, Brussels 6.0 hours, etc.).
- Luleå Airport (called Kallax, IATA Code: LLA, http://www.swedavia.com/lulea/) can conveniently be reached from Stockholm Arlanda (IATA Code: ARN) in about 75 minutes flight time.
- With low cost carriers such as Norwegian, Blue 1 and international carriers such as SAS, Luleå can be reached with many flights a day from the international hub in Stockholm Arlanda. Arlanda is very well connected to every part of Europe (please see flight destination maps below).
Getting around in Luleå
Luleå has an excellent public transportation system:
- From Luleå Airport the city center of Luleå and the university campus can be reached by public transport (bus 4, timeline available here: http://www.llt.lulea.se) using a cheap bus transfer or by taxi (one-way ˜250 SEK, 29,50 EUR as of 10.09.2012).
- The conference venue can be reached with the excellent public bus transport from any place in the city in about 10 minutes (one-way 20 SEK, ~2,50 EUR as of 10.09.2012). The venue is connected by several bus lines to the city center, ensuring regular connections during working hours about every 15 minutes (http://www.llt.lulea.se, Google Translate included in the website).
- Flygtaxi Luleå does offer to share taxi rides from and to the airport. Reservations are mandatory (see taxi information below for the contact details)
- LLT (Luleå Lokaltrafik): This app informs you on bus stops, transportation options and prices. It allows you to download and cache (while you’re still at home) bus maps for offline use. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.openprimate.llt
- Overview on Bus stops on Google Maps:
- Bus schedule to/from LTU and Luleå C:
Additional travel-related information
- Luleå airport features two free WIFI hot spots. One is located at the arrival/departure gate, the other at baggage claim. (try out, which one)
- Svedavia Airport Information: This app features plans of many Swedish airports, gate plans, etc. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=se.swedavia.arlanda
Important Bus stops
- Smedjegatan: Nearly all bus lines do stop here, including the bus line from the airport (Flygbus).
- Luleå busstation (Crossing Storgatan/Präsgatan): The bus line from the airport stops here (Flygbus), as well as all Swedish long distance bus lines (länstrafiken, http://www.ltnbd.se).
- Universitetsentrén (bus line 4) or Porsö centrum (bus lines 4 and 5): these two stops are the closest stops to the conference venue at Luleå University of Technology (Luleå Tekniska Universitet, LTU)
Reservations in advance are strongly recommended and usually mandatory. If reservations are made on time, the rental cars can, for free, be handed over at the airport for convenience.
- Bro Garaget, Handelsvägen 15, 97345 Luleå, http://www.brogaraget.se.
- Rent A Wreck, Industrivägen 24, 97254 Luleå, http://www.rent-a-wreck.no/eng/?car-rental=lulea.
- OKQ8 (petrol station), Robertsviksgatan 3, 97241 Luleå, http://www.okq8.se/privat/pastationen/sokstation.
- Statoil (petrol station), Stationsgatan 30, 97238 Luleå, http://www.statoil.se.
- B.R.A. Biluthyring (bil = car, hyring = rental), Residensgatan 11 (Crossing Sandviksgatan), 97132 Luleå (Tel. 13000 (landline in Luleå, mobile phone +46-70-3700001).
- AVIS, Sixt, Budget and Hertz do have counters at the airport – attention: they are usually only manned if you have made a reservation.
Alternatively, there are many taxi companies waiting to give you a pleasant ride:
- Flygtaxi Luleå, +46-920-885-40
- General taxi service, Luleå Taxi AB,+46-920-10-00-00
- Sexans Taxi AB,+46-920-666-66
- Taxi Ersnäs, +46-920-312-50
- Taxi Kompaniet, +46-920-333-33
- TaxiKurir, +46-920-640-64
- Taxi Minicab, +46-920-25-55-55
- Rånedalens Taxi, +46-924-100 00
Good to know locations
- Kjell & Company Luleå, Storgatan 40, 97231 Luleå, http://www.kjell.com.
- Media Markt, Betonvägen 1, 97345 Luleå. Closest bus stop: “Betonvägen”, bus lines 6, 9, 10 and 13
- Elgiganten Megastore Luleå, Betonvägen 2, 97345 Luleå. Closest bus stop: “Betonvägen”, bus lines 6, 9, 10 and 13
- Clas Ohlson, Storgatan 36-38, 97231 Luleå, www.clasohlson.com/.
- Coop Byg, Storhedsvägen 1, 97345 Luleå, http://www.coop.se.
- Willy:s, Småbåtsgatan 3, 97235 Lulea, https://www.willys.se/Vara-butiker/Butik/?store=2127 (very good and cheap store, opening hours: Mon-Fri: 08.00 - 22.00, Sat: 08.00 - 22.00, Sun: 10.00 - 22.00).
- Coop Consum, Storgatan 59, 97231 Luleå, http://www.coop.se (Opening hours: Mon-Fri: 07.30 – 23.00, Sat and Sun: 09.00 – 23.00) attention: only light beer can be bought here!
- Systembolaget, Storgatan 61, 97231 Luleå, http://www.systembolaget.se (any alcoholic drinks, bring passport to prove age, opening hours: Mon-Sat: 10.00 – 18.00, Sun: closed).
- ICA Supermarket Luleå Centrum, Skomakargatan 9, 97233 Luleå, https://www.ica.se/varor-butiker/sok-butik/ica/lulea__u_/ (Opening hours: Mon-Fr: 07.30 - 20.00, Sat: 09.00 - 18.00, Sun: 11.00 - 18.00).
- ICA Supermarket Porsön Centrum, Professorsvägen 1, 97751 Luleå (this is the closest to LTU), http://www.ica.se/butiker/supermarket/lulea/ica-supermarket-porson-9591/.
Credit cards do usually work to withdraw money. Not all banks do take Maestro cards. Also, many shops will not accept Maestro cards.
- Nordea, Köpmansgatan 38, 97126 Luleå, http://www.nordea.se.
- Swedbank, Köpmansgatan 34, 97233 Luleå, http://www.swedbank.se.
- Forex Bank, Storgatan 46, 97231 Luleå, http://www.forex.se.
- Filmstaden, Timmermansgatan 19, 97231 Luleå, http://www.sf.se.
Bars and Diners in Luleå
Several bars and restaurants are located at the street 'Storgatan' (main street) in central Luleå.
- Harry’s: Storgatan 27, 97232 Luleå, http://www.harrys.se.
- The Bishop’s Arms: Storgatan 15, 97128 Luleå, http://www.bishopsarms.com.
- Allstar Sports Bar, Storagan 24, 97232 Luleå, http://www.allstarbar.se.
- Max Hamburgerrestauranger, Midgårdvägen 24, 97334 Luleå, http://www.max.se.
- Burger Diner, Crossing Storgatan/Kungsgatan
- Tourist office: Luleå Turistbyrå, Kulturens Hus, Skeppsbrogatan, 97185 Luleå, http://www.visitlulea.se.
It is recommended to book rooms well in advance. Below is a selection of hotels in Luleå. It is recommended to book via the common booking web sites to get good rates.
- Quality Hotel, Storgatan 17, 97231 Luleå, http://www.nordicchoicehotels.se (personal rating: good).
- Park Hotel, Kungsgatan 10, 97234 Luleå, http://www.parkhotell.se (personal rating: simplistic).
- Comfort Hotel, Storgatan 59, 97128 Luleå, http://www.nordicchoicehotels.se (personal rating: good).
- Elite Stadshotellet Luleå, Storgatan 15, 97232 Luleå, http://www.elite.se (personal rating: excellent).
- City Sleep Hostel, Kyrkogatan 16, 97232 Luleå,http://www.citysleep.se.
- Amber Hotel, Stationsgatan 67, 97234 Luleå, http://www.amber-hotell.se.
Short and Full Paper Submission Deadline (extended)
Notification of Acceptance for Short and Full Papers
Poster and Demo Paper Submission Deadline (extended)
Deadline for Camera-Ready Version of Short and Full Papers
Notification of Acceptance for Poster and Demo Papers
Early Registration Deadline
MUM 2013 Conference in Luleå, Sweden
The official hashtag for MUM 2013 is #mum2013 and the official account is for MUM is @MUMconference.
Christchurch, New Zealand
College Park, USA