MUM 2012 will take place in Ulm (Germany) and will be organized by the Institute of Media Informatics of Ulm University.
The Ulm Innovation Region is one of the most dynamic in economic terms and the birthplace of many new companies. It is the leader in terms of satisfaction with life in general, per capita income, low unemployment figures and high birth rates (study Living comfortably in Germany by Deutsche Bank Research). The birthplace of Albert Einstein is characterized by two clear features: The Ulmer Münster (Minster), the highest church tower in the world, and the Science City of Ulm.
Research and development are written in capitals in the Ulm Innovation Region. It is the region with the most intensive private commercial research and development in Baden-Württemberg. One model of success is the Science City of Ulm which includes the Ulm University and various research centers / offices / facilities of companies like AEG, Daimler Benz, Infineon, Nokia Siemens and Deutsche Telekom. Small companies who love innovation - amongst them successful spin-offs from the universities - have established themselves in the ScienceParks I and II. In total, the Science City provides work for over 8,600 people - and this figure is increasing. The Science Park III already in planning creates potential for further expansion of the Science City of Ulm.
Getting to Ulm
The following airports are close to Ulm:
- Allgäu Airport Memmingen (FMM) , can be reached non-stop within 50 min by public transport, direct flights (mainly low cost-carriers) to cities like Berlin, Brussels, Dublin, Edinburgh, Hamburg, London, Manchester, Porto or Stockholm
- Bodensee-Airport Friedrichshafen (FDH) , can be reached within 60 min by public transport, direct flights (mainly low cost-carriers) to cities like Berlin, Cologne, Düsseldorf, Frankfurt, Graz, Hamburg, Rotterdam or Vienna
- Stuttgart Airport (STR) , can be reached within 100 min by public transport, 18 million passengers per year, non-stop-flights to many European cities and North America
- Frankfurt Airport (FRA) , can be reached non-stop within 130 min by public transport (Germany´s largest airport)
- Munich Airport (MUC) , can be reached within 140 min by public transport (Germany´s second largest airport)
There is a bus stop called "Botanischer Garten" in front of the building N27 connecting it directly via buses with the city centre.
From the city centre to the conference venue / building N27: From the central railway station ("Hauptbahnhof") you should take bus line number 3 towards "Wissenschaftsstadt" or "Science Park II" and leave the bus at "Botanischer Garten".
From the conference venue / building N27 to the city centre: From the bus stop "Botanischer Garten" you should take bus line number 3 towards "Wiblingen" and leave the bus at "Ulm Hauptbahnhof".
Further information can be found in the city map showing all bus lines.
Bus tickets can be brought via ticket machines from Deutsche Bahn/DB located in the central railway station ("Hauptbahnhof") (thats how they look like, shows how to buy an all day bus ticket) or from SWU located as the bus stop (thats how they look like, shows how to buy an all day bus ticket, shows how to buy a weekly bus ticket).
More information can be found in the MUM 2012 booklet.
It is adviseable to stay in a hotel in walking distance to the the central railway station ("Hauptbahnhof"). The following hotels offer discounts for MUM 2012 (please state "MUM 2012" during reservation / booking via their website):
- Münster Hotel Ulm (website in German only, €34 Basic Single Room with washbowl in room but shared shower and toilets; €46 Small Single Room; €48 Large Single Room; all prices include breakfest; free Internet access)
- Hotel Bäumle (website in German only, €70 Single Room; €80 Double Room occupied by one person; all prices include breakfest)
- Hotel Garni Lehrertal (€56 Standard Single Room; €60 Comfort Single Room; €76 Double Room Standard; €86 Double Room Comfort; all prices include breakfest; free WIFI)
- Hotel Stern (website in German only, €77 Single Room including breakfest)
- InterCityHotel Ulm (€78 Business Room including breakfest)
- Comfor Hotel Frauenstrasse (€85 Single Room including breakfest)